anyone know 'the hum'?

The SMH has just published an update on an older article about a 'hum' that some people can hear and most don't.

It's something I have experienced. It occurs in certain locations. I hear it where I live (and I have heard it elsewhere in Australia, and New Zealand). I hear it not just inside the house but in the street and garden. So it isn't equipment inside my house. I've checked all of that. I don't have tinnitus or other hearing problems, having just had a check-up recently.

It is not unlike the distant roar of a plane but, unlike a plane taking off or landing, it is constant. There is no rising or falling, it is steady.

It is not unlike the distant sound of someone playing the same music at the same level for hours and hours on end, throughout the night and into morning. I have thought this is a possibility but I have never been able to find the source in my neighbourhood. As it has no real variation other than intensity, (ie there is no tune or any discernable vocalisation, etc) I have come to think it is not music or a television up very loud.

It is felt as much as heard - like a strong vibration in the head and chest. It is the vibration which I find most difficult to deal with as it is physically very unpleasant. Sometimes it is very strong, sometimes less so. So a low frequency is a possibility. It is the vibration that can be particularly disturbing. I hear and feel it yet Annette does not. I know of others who have had a similar experience, where they hear the hum and their partner/family does not.

I have wondered if it is some kind of industrial noise transmitted at a low frequency. However, the time I experienced it in New Zealand I was by a lake and amongst mountains.

I know that most people won't take it seriously so I've never discussed it with anyone, until now. But maybe there is an explanation. A recording has been made. I'm not totally convinced this recording is 'my' hum.

The earth talking?

Comments

Popular Posts

vale Jackson Mac Low 1922-2004

Questions, but no answers: while editing a manuscript

here and now